Many people think about IM’s for businesses in the context of established companies. Few people consider its value to start ups, and that is a shame. A full featured IM like Brosix can improve all stages of a start up.
Refining the idea
When you are still working on the where’s and how’s of your business being able to show partners or backers what you mean will be a big benefit. The white board can help you to share ideas visually and make real time modifications.
Writing the business plan
Business plans are all about codifying the details. By using the file share feature on your IM you can easily integrate data from multiple sources.
Setting things up
Whether it is sharing emails from you contractor or showing the backend progress on your site, co-browse can help you to show while you tell.
Keeping in touch/the first year
An IM program can help you to stay in touch with partners, customers and suppliers. Many businesses are made or broken by their responsiveness to customer needs and internal communications staying on top of it can be a major boost.
Some people never manage to get the basics of cyber manners. Let’s look at some of the most annoying offenders.
1. The booty IM: This comes in two forms. The most common involves a chat mate who wants to have IM “phone” sex. The issue here is lack of discrimination. Oh, you’re at your grandma’s, at work, the campus library, so what? Just tacky. (Plus sex without intimacy or tactile simulation is just wasteful). The second is a late night booty call IM. Beware this one ladies. He’s keeping his options open in case you say no.
2. The ones who love to hear themselves type: Every answer, every thought is in the form of a paragraph. If you counted it up they would dominate 9110ths of the space. Turns out windbags aren’t any fun online either.
3. The long thinker: They start the conversation, ask you tons of questions, but take forever to get back to you. Be suspicious, you may be being pumped for information.
4. Death by IM minutia spam: No, we don’t want to know about the location of all of your babies freckles (unless they are shaped funny). Just send a photo and stop boring us.
5. IMvertising: Chat bots (or live people) who are only there to give a sales pitch to everyone online is just annoying.
There are some times when an IM is not the best way to go. Usually that is when you will put your foot in your foot in your mouth if you do not think before you write. Times when you should skip on IMing:
– When your chat partner would be an exboyfriend, girlfriend or spouse.
– When you have to deliver bad news and you know it will not be taken well.
– When you are drunk or otherwise impaired.
– When you know that the message requires context, or that what you are saying could be understood in multiple ways.
So think before you IM and remember there are some times when you should not use it.
Many companies begin a social networking campaign without giving much thought to how they will support those efforts. One of the most effective ways to do this is with an IM. That may seem a bit out of place at first, but you have to consider the fact that if you do not provide a micro outlet for your members everything, even the things that you do not want to be seen, will be expressed on the macro scale.
Using an IM to compliment your social networking efforts allows you to:
* Provide a 1 on 1 service to the digital generation.
* Allow user/customers to air their grievances to the company privately and gain resolution if the issue is private, sensitive or embarrassing.
* Test a new idea on a small group of people, a digital focus group.
Consider the IM as a way to augment your social networking campaigns.
Last week, we covered, in general how a full function IM can help the unemployed. Both with the job search itself and with keeping from feeling isolated. We are going to look into this subject more deeply. Not only, as a service to the readership of this site, but as a way to show the value of IM’s not only to teenagers, but to professionals of all ages.
So, whenever you see a blog posting tagged with “Job Search”, keep an eye out for helpful information that just might let you land that next job.
In the mean time here is a video on some of the best temporary jobs that you may want to consider:
When you do not have a job one of the biggest problems can be the social isolation that come with it. Long hours on the computer, with a newspaper or polishing and re-polishing your resume can be disheartening and lonely.
Of course, you cannot just jet out Phoenix to visit your college roommate, or to Houston to hang out with your brother, you need to conserve you cash. That is where IM’s come in. A full featured IM that can give you video chat will let you stay in touch, face to face with the people that can give you support.
Not to mention that it can give you a boost in your networking as well. The ability to show off your new skills with whiteboard or file share could be the difference between getting a lead, or just having a nice chat.
If you are new to the world of video chat, or the world of telecommute there are some basic rules to using a video chat.
Dress professionally. Unless your normal office environment is a casual one you will want to dress like you would to go in. If you have to stand up or sit at a distance this means full body. Your black sweat pants won’t fool anyone.
Remember your lens range and bring things that you are talking about into view. Talking about the chart that no one can see isn’t productive.
Find your body space before the conference/meeting. You head, shoulders and upper 1/3 of your torso should fit comfortably into the screen, without dominating it. Don’t be too big or too small. If you are still unsure about what is right look at a television news caster.
From here on in it is standard meeting etiquette. Remember that video chat is the telecommuters version of going on a business trip.